Friday, June 27, 2008

This cat...

absolutely hates it when I sing. Now, I know that I am not a terrible singer. I took singing lessons as a child and was good enough to be in the Pike Central Swing Choir (no, they don't swing while they sing. college-level choir here, peeps) for 3 years in high school...I just don't get it. Ever since she came home with Bret and Dad she has nipped and chased me around the house if I even hummed loudly. Which of course I did sometimes just to tease her... :o) It really is strange. It must have something to do with the tone or timbre of my singing voice because she doesn't react to loud or high pitched music or anyone else singing, for that matter! It is just crazy, I tell ya. So anyways, tonight as I'm home listening to music and catching up on my blogs and whatnot I start to belt out 'Cowboy Take Me Away' by the Dixie Chicks and Glendale jumps up from the dining room floor (Her domain and she does a right good job of holding down that floor. Unless she tries to get up and a claw gets stuck...then there's a problem...) and RUNS toward me. Now, Glendale does not usually run. I don't really think you can tell from this picture but Glendale is slightly overweight. She and Jonah weighed the same amount for a bit and she usually doesn't run for anything. Except food. Anyways, I look up to see Glendale running at me from the dining room, belly and fat bags swaying from side to side and I freeze. Because at that moment I remember exactly why I stopped singing out loud at home. Glendale flys onto my chair and proceeds to walk slowly forward, never taking her eyes from mine. I, of course, am terrified. She has claws. And she knows how to use them. I still have the scars on my forearms to prove it!

If Glendale could talk this is how the dialogue would have went:
Glendale: Did I give you permission to sing?
Me: *stuttering* No-no ma'am.
Glendale: *with condesencion*Did you not learn your lesson the last time you tried this?
Me: *whispering* No ma'am.
Glendale: I think you had better re-think what just happened here.
Me: Yes ma'am.

And then she proceeded to sit down by my feet and stare at me. Not lying. I went back to my computer screen and re-started my music. And promptly started singing quietly without thinking. The next thing I new she nipped my ankle hard and had jumped up on my lap with her ears back. I froze. Again. *sigh* And then I thought, "Hey! She's MY cat and if I want to sing I'll do it in my own dang house whenever I want to!" And promptly pushed her off! I'm not going to let a cat dictate what I will or will not do in my own house and I certainly am not going to let her know that she is the dominant female around here.

Now if I could just get the courage to start singing again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommorrow when i come over you need to play a song and i will sing. Then we will see if she responds to anyone singing or just you. When i sing at home my cat just stares at me. But she starts growling and meowing at loud noises.

Janet said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This is my first visit to yours and I'm laughing about this singing issue! :-) My dd is in show choir (we used to call it swing choir when I was in HS) so I know what your talking about! Great story! :-) Janet