Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Doesn't this cake...

look absolutely yummy? I made this Saturday before my parents and brother came over for dinner. It's actually a red velvet cake (from a box! *gasp*) with cream cheese icing and I just cut up some fresh strawberries for color and cuteness. We also had a shrimp dish Bishnu made that was delicious but sadly, I didn't take any pictures of it. Maybe one day I can get him to write down the recipe and I can post it on here. I swear, that man should have went to culinary school...he is such a wonderful cook! And I am one lucky wife! It sure does take the pressure off of me since I don't have to cook every.single.night. And we work very well together in the kitchen...no shoving or jockeying for space. Saturday night reminded me that we really should cook together more often.


Tonight 'the girls' came over and we carried, shoved and pushed Bret's desk downstairs to my designated scrapbook area. It is so nice just to see it sitting down there instead of on our front porch and I'm already feeling much more motivated. I still need storage for my tools and supplies but hope to find some of them at Goodwill and/or yard sales. I've already found a small spice rack to store small embellishments and flowers. Hopefully I'll have the same luck while searching for bookshelves, cases and the like.


I've added a couple of frames and our clock to the space above the mantel for now. It isn't what I want above the fireplace ultimately but it does go a long way to make the living room feel more home-y and comfortable. I'm on the lookout for smaller clocks to make a sort-of vignette of clocks on the wall. Actually, what we REALLY want above the fireplace is a wall-mounted flat screen tv. But as I mentioned several posts before, we don't really have an extra $900 - $1000 laying around (and if we did I can think of several other important things it could go towards first! lol) so this will make do! The frame on the right has two pockets and will hold wedding memoribilia. The two picture frames on the left hold pictures of Jonah (left is more recent - 2yrs. and right is 1 yr. pic). Those three items and the clock (Target) were all wedding gifts. :o) I love that I am finally able to use some of those wonderful things we received! Hopefully I can find a dining room table soon so I can finish up the dining room. All that has happened in there so far is the pretty blue paint - wish me luck!
Ta ta for now!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

The cake was yummy! Now just have to put items into the wedding memorabilia thing :) It'll look nice up there.

Momma Truitt said...

Your house is beautiful!!! Do you live in Winslow?
I unfortunately put my headboard in a yard sale a few weeks ago. I do have a full size mattress (box springs too). It has been sitting in the yard barn since Christmas, so I am not sure if it is useable... You are more than welcome to it if you need it. I also might be getting rid of my bedroom set (headboard, and dresser with mirror) and if I do you are more than welcome to it as well. AND I have some boy clothes if you are interested!!! :)

Anonymous said...

That cake looks so yummy!!!! I love you fire place. LOL! It really does look pretty. I can't wait untill next semester adn you will have it all fix up. Dont do all the craft prodjects some save some for when me and jess come back into town.

Lynne said...

Hello your cake does look yummy. Don't worry about using a box cake. Cakes from scratch aren't always any better and a heck of a lot more work.

I've never had a mantle on my fireplace. I should quit pining for on and get one.