Friday, May 30, 2008

Jane Austen

What is it exactly about Jane Austen and all that she has written that entrances women, I wonder... Is it her characters, who are so real and remind the reader/viewer of very dear friends and aquaintances? Is it the beautiful clothing and surroundings that you can only imagine, or see if you are watching a movie adaption? Or is it the romantic storylines that embody so beautifully what women want in their love lives? I tend to think that it is a combination of all of these but vary in importance for each person. I love the books although I have not read all of them. It is so nice to watch the movies though...I've owned Sense and Sensibility for years now and one of my fondest memories with my friends is watching it with them. And since Pride and Prejudice was released in 2005 it is my new favorite. I love those tall, dark and brooding English men and Alan Rickman as Col. Brandon and Matthew McFayden as Mr. Darcy certainly fit the bill. They are exactly the type of men that I daydream about. Er...that is, if I would daydream they would do nicely. Which I don't, daydream, of course. *ahem*
Moving on...I'm planning on buying an biography about Jane Austen because it struck me the other day that I really know nothing about her other than she was one of seven children and she died young. And that is strange to me, seeing as how I like her books so much.
Which Jane Austen book or movie is your favorite?

1 comment:

Jess said...

You are so right! Jane Austen's books are very enticing to women..which is not suprising because after all, isn't it the romance and depth of feeling us women desire all the time that Austen writes about? It's good to have writers like her to give us hope and motivation that we can still be passionate about various things in our lives. I would have to say though my absolute favorite is Pride and Prejudice..you don't get much more dreamy than Mr. Darcy LOL!